One of my favorite, recently discovered challenges is Vintage Udfordring in Denmark. You can visit their site HeRe. Their challenge #45 is about something other than a card and clearly vintage in style/materials.
I made this little desk calendar at the end of 2011, thinking I would use it for one year. I never intended to blog about it, just to enjoy it sitting out where I could use it and find it a teensy bit nicer than the store bought ones. It is quick to make as an assembly line sort of project with vintage style. I had seen a version somewhere on the web and haven’t been able to track it down. As I remember, my idea is was same, the execution is different. I cut 12 sheets of heavy weight chipboard to 5 1/2″ x 5″ and 2 sheets for the covers at 7 1/2″ x 5″. I painted the edges of all the chipboard and began to go through my scrap patterned papers and then filled in where necessary. I wanted each month to have an individual look, but with all the months to have the same layout to speed this project up.
The front and back covers were completely covered with some vintage patterned paper and some simple embellishments of hand dyed seam binding and a scrap of lace that I threw into the dye bath along with the seam binding. The tiny flowers were from a branch, scattered with these lovely fabric flowers. The metal plate was added and stamped just for the fun of it.
The left side of each page was die cut with the Calendar Page Die from Papertrey Ink. I filled the right side of each page with a scrap of patterned or stamped paper. I had purchased the small set of calendar pages and set about stamping borders, months and flourishes from PTI’s Calendar Basics stamp set, in colors that coordinated with the month’s design.
The back of each month’s page is finished simply and is followed by a glassine sack, 3 3/4″ x 6 3/4″. I took a sheet of a lined memo pad paper and stamped the month at the top. I’ve been using these sheets to keep a very quick little journal of the highlights of each month.
Part of the fun of this project was in the quick picking of the elements to put together! No long, drawn out considerations, just the first choice.
It was also a great project for clearing out the little ‘extras’ that I keep in a pudding mold, at my desk. You can see my workspace HERE if you would like to. I always think it’s fun to peek in at someones creative space!
Some velvety hydrangea leaves from my dear friend Merlie, along with some antique buttons, a colored pearl and a sticker that I think I’d had for about 10 years!! The bit of scalloped velvet ribbon at the top is a favorite and I’ve been hoarding the small length I have remaining!
As you can see, December was made with plain card stock, a die cut strip of snowflakes, Melissa Frances sticker and some satin ribbon….simple.
I’ve enjoyed this simple format enough to use it for a second year. I simply stamped new monthly calendars and replaced the sheets in the glassine envelopes. I used my Bind-It-All to punch the holes and add the wire binding. To dull the white of the wire, I used a bit of alcohol ink.
Next year, I will make something different. Thank you for stopping by and thank you for your sweet comments~